Tuesday, April 23, 2013

In Need of Insight

I am looking for any and all advice!  When we move to the mountains I will need to generate more, steady income than cakes have provided.  My deepest desire is to still be at home with the kids as much as possible.  I would really like to find something (or a collection of several somethings) that I can do from home.  I still believe my place is at home with my children and I like the flexibility of working from home.

My hope is to continue cakes - maybe advertise that I can make and deliver birthday cakes/cupcakes to Tech students from family and friends back home?  In addition, I've tried to think of things I can do with sewing or other crafty skills.  Is starting an Etsy shop worth it?  My greatest concerns with that are again it is unsteady income, it's probably difficult to create a large enough following to generate much income, and I feel like I'm a bit of a "jack of all trades, master of none".  I hold my own sewing for my own family, but I'm not sure it's of a "sellable" quality.  So, I've tried to think of other ways I can generate income from work on the computer on home...and that's where I'm stuck. 

I'm not opposed to doing multiple small jobs, but I would love any and all advice on what these jobs could be.  Please, please, please share all your ideas!

Meanwhile, here's a picture to remind you of why it is so important to me to stay at home with my precious babies.

5 comments:

  1. Hey Emily, I'm doing a work-from-home opportunity with Rodan + Fields Dermatology. Let's talk so you can learn more and see if this would be a good fit! My phone number is 703-967-5975--give me a call! --Kristin Hilleary (khilleary.myrandf.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about providing consistent baby-sitting for another child? For a couple mornings a week?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristin, I will give you a call later this week to learn more. I tend to shy away from anything involving selling products, but my hesitations may be misguided.

    Danielle, I forgot to mention that! That would be IDEAL! I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE to find one or two other three or four year olds to watch. Our apartment is under 800 square feet, so that might make it tricky...but kids are little and don't require too much space! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think Etsy is worth your time to be honest. I only sold 50 items on Etsy over a span of four years and that's with me having a masters degree in art and my own photography and sewing business. You have to be on Etsy constantly posting new items to ever be seen on the search engine plus you have to pay 20 cents every time you post something plus a fee when you sell something. So you can end up losing money. Plus you end up putting a lot of time and money into products people may never buy. That's my jaded been-there-done -that opinion. I would stick with cakes, house cleaning, and babysitting another child.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing that! I was a little worried about things like that and I remembered you had closed your etsy shop.

    ReplyDelete